Validation of accounting tools and methodologies
The preparation of greenhouse gas balances is a complex undertaking for many companies: Structures, data management systems and methodologies have to be established and linked. Calculations of greenhouse gas balances - whether company- or product-related - can be enormously facilitated by calculation tools and software solutions.
What are carbon footprint tools?
Any software solution that centralises and automates the collection and categorisation of greenhouse gas-relevant information and the calculation and balancing of greenhouse gases for reference values is a carbon footprint tool. This includes excel-based or browser-based applications or other individual software solutions.
Examples can be:
- Tools from consulting service providers for the structured determination of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Automated methodologies for internal company accounting of greenhouse gas emissions
- Browser-based tools for greenhouse gas balancing of transport services (passenger transport, freight transport, combined transport routes, ...)
Why validate the Carbon Footprint Tool?
Normative requirements, internal organisational ideals and increasing customer demands have led to a strong increase in interest in greenhouse gas balancing - the market for carbon footprint tools is growing all the time.
An external, independent verification not only sets you apart from your competitors, but also protects you against possible risks and strengthens the resilience of your tool.
Especially with newly developed methodologies, it is helpful to ensure plausibility and functionality through an external review.
What requirements can be placed on carbon footprint tools?
The systematics of common tools are usually based on existing standards and norms. In the area of carbon footprints these are
for Corporate Carbon Footprints (company-related)
- ISO 14064-1 "Specification with guidance for the quantitative determination and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals at the organisation level" and
- the GHG Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard
for Product Carbon Footprints (product-related)
- ISO 14067: "Greenhouse gases - Carbon footprint of products - Requirements and guidelines for quantification" and
- the GHG Protocol Life Cycle Accounting and Reporting Standard
for certain sectors, such as transport services
- DIN EN 16258: "Methodology for the calculation and declaration of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in transport services".
Durch eine unabhängige Stelle werden die Berechnungswege und (Emissions-)Datenquellen mit den Anforderungen der entsprechenden Norm abgeglichen. Bei organisationsunabhängigen Tools ist die Überprüfung vollständig durch Remotesitzungen durchführbar.
Handelt es sich um ein organisationsbezogenes Tool zur internen Bilanzierung der Treibhausgase, verbinden wir das Überprüfen der Methodik mit einer technischen Begehung und dem Abgleich mit Ihren (Produktions-)Prozessen.
Sind identifizierte Mängel nachweislich behoben, erhalten Sie ein Konformitätsbestätigung zu Ihrem Tool.
We calculate the cost of validating your CF tool individually, depending on the complexity of the data structure, any site inspections required, the standards used and the scope of the tool.
Why validation with GUTcert?
All globally valid accreditation rules are included in our DAkkS-accredited certification system. This ensures the international recognition of your validation. In addition, you benefit from the following advantages:
In a GUTcert audit, you receive valuable input beyond the mere confirmation of conformity, because our auditors have great expertise in their field and comprehensive knowledge of the industry.
Do you operate globally? So do we: in association with our parent company, the AFNOR Group, we can carry out large-scale international projects in a centralised manner with over 1,800 auditors worldwide.
Frequently asked questions
Read our FAQ for answers to frequently asked questions about the Carbon Footprint.